Yes, it’s about food and not the incredibly foggy weather we’ve been experiencing lately. This is the simplest, tastiest soup recipe I know picked up during my time working at Restore Littlemore Lounge.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (and 1 garlic clove , if you like)
- 2-3 celery stalks
- 1 big potato
- 1 stock cube
- 1 litre water
- 1 bag frozen peas
- optional extras: 1 bag of spinach or kale, fresh mint, feta or bacon
- Warm up the olive oil in a big saucepan.
- Chop the onion, garlic and celery and add to the pan and keep the heat low so they soften without going brown.
- Chop the potato into small chunks and add to the pan.
- Mix the stock cube into the water and add that to the pan.
- Cover with a lid and turn up the heat until the water boils.
- Reduce the heat and let it all cook for about 10-15 minutes until the potato chunks are completely soft.
- Add the spinach or kale, if using that, and wait a minute or two for that to wilt.
- Add the peas and stir everything together.
- Let it heat up and cook for another 2-3 minutes just until the peas are warm through. Adding them right at the end like this helps keep the finished soup really green.
- Take soup off the heat and blend until smooth or ‘not lumpy’, whatever your preference is.
- Serve. I like to add some crumbled feta because I really like cheese so… any excuse.